Ramblings.

November 10, 2006

Empty Churches

Empty church pews are depressing.

I went to church on my birthday earlier this week and seeing all the empty space made me even more homesick... given it was a weekday, I wasn't expecting too many people to attend mass... but the number of people at this particular city church still saddened me. And yeah fine, it was a city church... so you wouldn't expect many famalies but even on Sundays there still are still so many blank spaces... and then you've got to think about WHO is attending and it's mostly old folks...

Back home, most people attend mass during their lunch break or after work at 6PM... whenever I'm back in Manila my parents wake me up at 6AM for the 6:30 or 7AM mass... and although that does sound cheesy and boring- and all the annoying straight edge adjectives you could possibly think of- I truly believe that it's one of the best things in the world!

So seeing that people are missing out with the "family time" tied into going to mass really gets to me. I know this sounds incredibly preachy... and you're probably rolling your eyes but whatever. This is me.

I wish I was home.

1 Comments:

Blogger tephiee said...

I totaly understand where your coming from and how your feeling. When I go and attend my youth service and see the amount of empty seats, it really makes me wonder and question 'where are all the youths? I know that there are a heap of youths outside, either at the movies, cafes etc.' It is distressing to know this.

I guess, the value of church and God is increasingly diminishing, especially in today's society. Knowing that there are places and things that one can do that can excite them is more appealing than church and even family times, is sad.

I think family time, in today's society, consists of the whole family sitting on the couch and watching tv together. I mean where is the quality family time in that?! I guess, the influences, trends, and changes in society have also altered the concept of family time, which I think is pretty sad. =(

8:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home