Ramblings.

January 18, 2007

Random.

*I drafted this entry AGES ago but forgot to post it... BAH.


I'm here listening to Cindy Lauper's latest album, "At Last", courtesy of Tiffany Hong, my long time partner in crime! t's a revival album, no original songs. But the woman sure can sing. Really.

She was already quite a singer during her "Girls Wanna Have Fun Days" but I think her skill was masked by the kinds of songs she was singing. This album proves it all. She's got real talent.

But lately, Led Zeppelin is what dominates my stereo. I didn't like them growing up, hated them even. Now I find they satisfy a certain craving I've been having, the sound of grating vocals and guitars. I've spent my entire senior year of college trying to fill this craving, which is weird because during junior year, I played nothing but Norah Jones.

When I'm not playing Led Zeppelin, I'm playing "The Darkness. Oh my god, these guys are unbelievable.

If you like to take yourself seriously at all times, and are concerned with maintaining a reputation of having good and refined musical taste, you will absolutely loathe The Darkness. It takes a good sense of humor, a penchant for spandex and shimmery eye-shadow, and a familiarity with the 80s to appreciate what these guys are trying to get at. You've probably heard their single "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" on the airwaves.


Lead singer Justin Hawkins's falsetto, combined with deliberately cheesy lyrics, and song titles; plus glam-era inspired guitarwork, all tied together with a killer band name (The Darkness! Ooooooooh). You just gotta love these guys.

As bassist Frankie Poullain says, "Everyone's too uptight these days. I hate the arrogance of bands who think their petty emotions are interesting. If you look at bands from 25 years ago, people had smiles on their faces. Wer'e bringing a little of that back."

That just about says it all.

My favorite cut from the album is "Get Your Hands Off My Woman" (love that title).

That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home